How can we improve?

Option to reboot immediately if no one is logged on

After patching or deploying custom software it is often necessary to reboot. However you obviously don't want to reboot immediately if a user is logged on but there's no reason not to reboot immediately if no one is logged on. It would be nice to add an option to the reboot menu to the effect of: Reboot immediately if no one is logged on else notify user and let them decide. Currently if I choose let user decide and no one happens to be logged into the computer it will wait until a user logs on and then tell them they need to reboot which wastes their time considering it could have just rebooted immediately after the patch since no one was logged on.

10 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom ReppenTom Reppen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Eric  KirscherEric Kirscher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this absolutely should be included. I would love for all of them to automatically reboot but I don't want to kick a user. Right now we are stuck with restart or not.

• Ryan WilliamsRyan Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2013-08-23]
    I like this idea, but I also like having the option of not rebooting until a user logs in. I will deploy patches to a server, but I don't want it to reboot until I get a chance to log in and check things out.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2013-08-23]
    It would be SUPER wonderful to see a different color or column of PCs that have not been logged in to since a reboot, or for over x hours. That way I know the user is not working and I can work on their PC and do updates.

Feedback and Knowledge Base