How can we improve?

Adding another reboot option to Languard patch deployment

As we know most patch deployments require a machine reboot to be effective. It means that if the machine is not rebooted, the machine will stay in a vulnerable and insecure status. For the moment you can control this feature in GFI Languard in two different ways:
1) You can reboot the machine right after the patch deployment, leaving the user with the risk of loosing his unsaved data.
2) You can let the user to choose his ideal time to do that. Unfortunately with this option the user can alternatively choose to reboot the machine at his appropriate time (which may be in a far future) or even he can cancel the reboot (with choosing option “Do not bother me again”). This option may also put the machine in a vulnerable and insecure status.

I strongly believe that the product should be equipped with a third option which force the machine reboot giving a specifiable time to user. With this option you can make sure that the machine will be rebooted and the user will have enough time to save his unsaved data.

1 vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ali Behzadipour shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2010-12-15]
    Currently if you use the check box to "Let the user decide when to reboot" they are presented with four options, one of which allows them not reboot thus holding up the remediation process.

It would be really helpful if I could set which choices the user has, e.g. They only have two choices, reboot now or reboot in X minutes.

Maybe for good measure you can throw in a countdown times so if the user doesn't respond in 30 minutes it automatically reboots.

• Shai Kapel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2011-02-06]
    There should be an option to schedule restart operation after auto remediation without any intervention from the user.
    in this scenario one should be able to deploy patches when all the workstations are online during business hours, but will force the restart operation at later time after working hours.

[Comment date: 2011-04-28]
    The countdown is most important factor in the remediation process.
    Something like “To complete the installation process, windows will restart in 5 min” or even better to have the choice in the languard from 60sec to 15min
    Unfortunately I need to use often the option “Reboot the target computers” without any warnings to users and the machine will just restart.
    We getting in trouble by users because they are not getting the countdown popup.

• George Mattson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2011-03-09]
    Just to add to this; it would be nice to leave the current reboot message/option as is, but add a notification at the bottom to say, "This machine will reboot at [time specified] if you do not reboot beforehand."

[Comment date: 2011-03-04]
    This will be implemented and it will be available somewhere in the second part of this year.

Cristian Florian
    Product Manager

[Comment date: 2014-12-15]
    Actually this was not fully implemented... the "Don't bother me again" option is still there without a way to remove that option.

Feedback and Knowledge Base