GFI LanGuard

How can we improve?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Custimizable Reports

Sometime I'm only interested in seeing the processor, Memory, Disk, User, Computer, etc. Maybe the scan results could be exported to Excel or Access and I could write my own report.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Collecting Feedback  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Scan by attributes

I'd like to be to initiate a server scan by custom added attributes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Collecting Feedback  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. allow linux scanning with non root accounts

Languard needs to have an option to connect to and scan linux machines with another account besides root. Most people do not allow root access to linux servers via SSH. That way we can have a dedicated account that will be used for scanning and patching linux servers without giving root access to the entire server.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Collecting Feedback  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Relay Agent high availability...

it will be great if you can have two relay agent grouped into one pool and the client machines pointed to the pool this will help in sites where the relay agent server can be off for extend times, one server will cover the other.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use central management server as alternate update location out of the box

Because the central management server is already based on a webserver, the ability to use the central management server also as an alternate update location for the instances would be great. This is possible, with a lot of manual effort.

Provide this feature out of the box within the configuration would be a great enhancement in secure environments, where not all LanGuard instances have access to the internet.

It can looks like:

- Add a additonal option on the update.exe (Updater) to choose the central management server
    - At the management server add an additional configuration point to use it…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  LanGuard 12  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Resumable patch deployment

It would be a great advantage to have resumable deployments. Specifically critical when deploying patches or custom deployments to Mobile devices such as laptops and Windows based tablets. These are notorious for dropping connectivity. Being able to resume a deployment from last point would save a lot of time and bandwidth.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option to manually approve the automatic distribution of a major version

Currently, if you've got the "disable automatic approval for major version upgrades" option turned on, the only way to then get a major version installed/rolled out, is to manually select it for one or more systems and trigger a remediation.

I would be great, if those major versions would pop up in the "Manual Approval" list and could be declined or approved there.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  LanGuard 12  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Assett monitor needs to capture Dell service tag like it used to.

Provide me with the capabilities I had before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow LanGuard agents on public servers to report back using a NAT address which is specific to the LanGuard server.

We currently have a LanGuard server on a private IP but the agents deployed to a handful of public servers are unable to communicate back to this server. The agents are configured to use the private IP which they are unable to communicate with. I have a NAT in place to use but the current server agent configuration is not capable of using this. We would prefer to have the agents report in versus going agentless and needing to regularly scan these systems. This is also causing issues with the public servers reporting patching status during deployments.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Computer tree group by subnet

Right now computer tree can group by domain/OU, Network Role, relay distribution and custom attributes.
    I want to add a feature request to group by network subnet.
    Normally network subnet is equal to department or something else. This feature will decress attribute configuration time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Collecting Feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Staggered scanning times for agent based scanning

With languard 2011 add a way to automatically stagger scan/reporting times for agents so that you don't have hundreds or thousands of agents reporting at the same time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Collecting Feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Major release JAVA and Adobe Reader no more...

I understand the reasoning for no more major release update for JAVA however maybe GFI can program it as an option in LanGuard.
    In the configuration somewhere (check box type option) allow for those of us who would like to continue to have it update through major versions. Because, to us this is now going to cause us more work in GFI now updating via custom software for JAVA.

Thank you

Frank Klimczak

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Chain Multiple Updates

I would like to suggest that LanGuard be able to detect where there are new versions of applications available or chains of dependent updates and be able to jump to the latst comprehensive update or version (in the case of free software in particular) or chain the updates together so that a single cycle (or at least a few cycles) of remediation will bring a system completely up to date.

We have been using LanGuard for several months now and still have systems that are catching up on their updates. I see how the current functionality is quite sufficient for…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Display which particular signature has flagged a vulnerability

It’s too difficult to identify which particular signature of a vulnerability has triggered a detection – i.e. which file or registry key has been found.
    So when verifying what looks like a false positive it is very painful to work out why GFI thought there was an issue.

It should be made clear exactly what files\reg keys\values e.t.c have flagged a vulnerability - and acknowledge these if necessary.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to deploy software that languard provides patches for.

LanGuard currently supports patching of a number of software products by default (flash player, adobe reader etc..), however it does not currently give any option to install the underlying package.

This means that I have to find and download the installation media and create a new custom package to push out, almost every time I do this LanGuard then pops up messages showing patches needed for that version, ie have Java V6, install V7 and then LanGuard prompts for the patches on V7.

I think it would be quite useful to have the installers for the items LanGuard can patch…

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Collecting Feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Display FQDN or IP on LanGuard managed system list and reports

I would like for LanGuard to offer the option to display either the FQDN or IP address of managed systems on all screens and in reports. We manage multiple client email systems that are all named mail.clientname.edu. Since only the first part of the name is displayed in the managed systems list all we see are multiple listings for "mail"
    It also appears that some reports lump all results together by system name, so everything appears in one list for system "mail" instead of separating into distinct systems by IP or FQDN. I support the request to have reports list…

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Feature: Dedicated Site network security overview

The network security overview if generated for multiple sites, is good, but with a little bit more site based statistics and information on which site it would be a great enhancement e.g. Items I would like to see:

- World map
    - Most vulnerable computer with site information beside the IP
    - Which site is more vulnerable (Computer vulnerability distribution based on sites)
    - Show split and consolidated diagrams for
    -- Security sensors with the sites where something was found (e.g. Software updates: 8/18 computers on 1 site)
    -- Network roles
    -- Computers by operating systems

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Configurable interval between instance and central management

It's not fully transparent when the instance will push the information/results/settings to the central management server. It seems only if new scan results are available -> settings, last sync date, results will be pushed to the management server.

A configurable interval or something like a heartbeat would be great, because if customer look at their instance (especially on evaluation) and see that 20 - 30 minutes nothing was sync, while they have done some changes e.g. on the location/GPS coordinates, it looks as the connection between the instance and the central management server is not working.

A heartbeat, would give…

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Display current Acknowledge / Ignore status for vulnerabilities.

i.e. on the "Details " panel of each Vulnerability, above "Type" add "Ignored for Entire Network Forever" or "Acknowledged for this device until May 13, 2012" or blank if it is something which hasn't been dealt wit already. It is silly to have to look it up in the Rules Manager to make sure that I've handled it. Even better than this would be to color code each one in the Vulnerability List panel - uncolored for not dealt with; gray for Ignored, blue for Acknowledged. Give me an at-a-glance status for all vulnerabilities for each device.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Apply Patches at when user logs off

Most of the workstations that I manage can be setup to reboot after patches are applied. However, my Jail and other Emergency Service departments are active 24/7. I really need the option to apply patches when the user logs off at the end of a shift.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base