How can we improve?

Support MailArchiver being backed up by Veeam B&R

Please add support for MailArchiver to be backed up by Veeam Backup & Replication.

Veeam supports 3rd party VSS writers so I'm not sure why this is an issue.

2 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mark WolfeMark Wolfe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bruce McKayBruce McKay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still an issue.
    Have to shutdown the Archive server for the 2 hours needed to get the Veeam B&R Full to run.
    The incremental only takes about 5-10 mins every night.

this is a solution from the 80's to shutdown a server so we can get a good stable backup...

• Mark WolfeMark Wolfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2013-05-13]
    I was able to get this working by increasing the VSS timeout to 4800 seconds as referenced in Veeam KB 1377. The GFI VSS snap seems to be doing something with every one of our .bix files (of which there are millions), which seems unnecessary and takes a long time.

GFI essentially said "Veeam? That's not on our list of supported backup programs. Goodbye."

I still think it's an issue with GFI's components, not Veeam's, and there's no reason the snap should take so long to create as the .bix files should be written once and then never changed.

• Tony MartelTony Martel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2013-07-15]
    As Mark says, increasing the VSS timeout seems to work but why does it take so long to create the snapshot?

[Comment date: 2014-04-01]
    I'm now up to a VSS timeout of 10,000 seconds (almost three hours) to get this job to run.

[Comment date: 2014-07-22]
    Now failing at four hours VSS timeout.

Giving up on backing this up online, will just schedule the VM to shut down every night and power on and empty the journaling mailbox afterwards.

Feedback and Knowledge Base