How can we improve Kerio Connect?

Backup to FTP Server

Backup direct to an external FTP-Server including would be nice.

468 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Bastian MiddelveldBastian Middelveld shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Heather PAdminHeather P (VP, Products, GFI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for adding your use case on backups and for bringing in the ransomware context Jeff. You'll see us talking more about ransomware in the next month or so. Meanwhile, we hear the issue of a pre-backup check.
    We have another idea posted regarding backups and the possibility of trying to backup to a drive that is not mounted here: https://kerio.uservoice.com/admin/v3/suggestions/404021/activity
    We will merge the ideas.

• Jeff CooperJeff Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know this is old but I would strongly second this. Particularly with the rise of ransomware, having backups that do not need to be permanently mounted in the file system would be great.

• Phil WelbournPhil Welbourn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes the restriction on Mac Kerio to only be able to use local folder or mounted sharepoint is a problem. Every time the connection to the share is lost - OS X creates a new volume name which breaks the link in Kerio backup so hardwiring a local ftp address would be so much better...

• Radim DvořákRadim Dvořák commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sandro Orefice: "This feature would be useful to protect backup from crypto locker attack."

Actually, you do this by setting up access rights.

• Michael J. McCarnMichael J. McCarn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pre-backup checks would be very useful. I have more than once filled my drive with backups that are on the wrong disk when the removable backup drive was not mounted correctly.

The ability to kick off a manual copy or rsync of the backup after the backup completes would also be useful. To solve the first problem, I now backup only to local disks -- but I still need to get the backup onto a remote or removable location!

• GaryGary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted something better than what seemed to be available, I run mine on a NAS VM with Kerio Appliance.

I use lsyncd for near real time replication into another storage file giving me 2 copies of live data lsyncd has virtually no impact on the system as far as I see and has been running great for 8 months since I set up.

I use idrive* for linux and shedule backup of the copy data then iDrive for linux pulls from iDrive to the standby VM

(other vendors are probably available, Not trying to name drop and I have no association with them)

• tommytommy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ubuntu/Debian:
    1) apt-get install sshfs
    2) sshfs user@remoteserver.tld:/path/to/backupfolder /mnt/offsitebackup
    3) set the path for the backup to /mnt/offsitebackup in the administration panel.

• Nick HarveyNick Harvey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AND S3/Glacier (a pain to do via ftp) with SCP and SFTP options, with backup management - really important for pay as you go storage, as it can mount up!!

• AdministratorAdministrator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using 3rd party Ftp software, is not a solution. Because we need to execute backup job to the local store and after trasfer the zip file to the ftp destination.
    If Connect will use ftp job, it can backup directly to destination without taking a lot of space in local store.

• Andreas HAndreas H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually use a cronjob to encrypt and transfer my backups to my ftp-server.
    But it would be great if Connect could do this itself.

• Perttu AaltonenPerttu Aaltonen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be useful to have an option to run scripts before and after backup. For example, to check that destination is available or to mount network shares. And an option to abort or continue the backup if the script returns an error.

• AdminAdmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we need a fully feautured backup solution, ability to define customs "backup job" where in each one specify, destination (local, network unc, ftp) type (full, incremental) and various schedulation settings (montly, weekly, dayly, hourly) with ability to mix them (ex. monday-incr, sunday-full)

• Kai HowellsKai Howells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, backup directly to ftp or sftp host would be a very good feature.

It would be more reliable than mapping it using something like ftpfs as if the mount doesn't happen, Kerio Connect will still quite happily go ahead and back up to the folder that is the mount point, thereby putting the backup files on the root filesystem and potentially filling it up.

• Tom HoremansTom Horemans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tested WebDrive, but not on Virtuozzo .... that causes problems:
    There feedback:
    Virtuozzo approaches virtualization by running a single OS kernel as its core and exporting that core functionality to various partitions on the host, instead of having one physical machine run muliple operating systems simultaneously, as the virtual machine model used by VMware and Mircrosoft Virtual Server or XEN does, . Each of the partitions effectively becomes a stand-alone entity called a virtual private server (VPS). Virtuozzo comes with a proprietary Kernel Service Abstraction Layer (KSAL) that manages access to the kernel and prevents any single VPS from bringing the entire physical server down. The KSAL prohibits kernel access which blocks the webdrive network redirector (wdfsd.sys) from loading resulting in errors including "Can't start service WebDriveFSD, error=1275. At this time, there is no way to circumvent the kernel access control in Virtuozzo.

• AdminAdmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best FTP backup program I've seen and used is SyncBack (SE or Pro) by 2BrightSparks. I was able to use that to transfer a large, messy web site from an old hosting site (with issues) to a new hosting site after all other FTP programs I tried had choked at some point during the backing up or copying.

• adminadmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps it would be a solution to start a script after the backup has completed without errors.
    so some people can start a ftp upload and others start the backup-to-tape process.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base