How can we improve Kerio Connect?

Can change/set the default email address

When linking to Active Directory, Kerio still assigns the default email to be the <AD username>@<domain name>. This is a problem when the email address format is different then the AD username format. We then have to create email aliases but you cannot override the default email address that is used by Kerio.

311 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Peter Oulman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Heather P responded  · 

Thanks for the idea. This is on our product backlog, but not assigned to a release. This feature is still open for voting.

20 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jérôme Haegeli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature requested concern the same issue of this other one:

http://feedback.kerio.com/forums/29250-kerio-connect/suggestions/476525-rename-users

Changing the name is the same request has we can set a DEFAULT EMAIL who is ALWAYS used by Kerio.
    The AD credential rest but the email address can be changed !!!

Below, my explanation to Kerio support about this issue:

----------------
    To "rising above Exchange" like you say on your homepage, only this feature is missing:

In case of using email address aliases, Availability to set the default email address

This is common in organization who the AD credentials aren't the same as the public email address.

This for two reasons:

1) The Contacts are shown with the two email address like (SAMaccount1@domain.com and john.doe@domain.com)

2) When you receive an appointment to your email alias (john.doe@domain.com),
    the email address used for replying "accepted" is the "account" email address (SAMaccount1@domain.com).
    This may duplicate entries to the organizer has he see john.doe@domain.com not responding and a new SAMaccount1@domain.com that has accepted...
    Imagine with many people...

This is normal and expected behavior. There is no such thing as "good e-mail address" - you can have hundreds of thousands of aliases, so how does Kerio know which one is the "good" one?

I can't understand why Kerio can't used one of these item below instead of the account name:

- Kerio-Mail-Prefered-Address (where is really used this attribute ????)
    - AD email attribute
    - Using the first alias from Kerio-Mail-address (that not include the account address !)

And why a Kerio-Mail-WebToReplyAddress attribute exist and not a Kerio-Mail-DefaultAddress one ?

Is this way, users can continue to use their AD credential and all is working fine.

Other people with the same issue from 2008 to now...:
    http://forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/17288/69842/#msg_69842
    http://forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/19069/78591/#msg_78591
    http://forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/18007/72843/#msg_72843
    http://forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/27227/113100/#msg_113100
    http://forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/28146/116762/#msg_116762
    http://forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/14075/55942/#msg_55942

I've also try this workaround:
    http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/server-configuration/ldap-and-directory-services/mapping-different-name-from-active-directory-171.html

But in this way, users need to use the email address instead the AD credentials, who confuse them....

• Mincovna Kremnica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote for this also. Exchange server have has it 13 years ago under "Recipients Policies" / "E-Mail Addresses Policy"
    There was possibility define multiple e-mail addresses templates based on user properties in AD.
    For example:
    %m@domain.com - %m placeholder for "mailbox"
    %s placeholder for Surname
    %g placeholder for Given name
    So %g.%s@domain,.com will generate John.Smith@domain.com

• Administrator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

useing the mailadresse as primary identifier and not having the oportunity to choose a different mailadress is anoying! This is a must have!! This request is 6 years old? Who needs a kerio desktop app? Or the chat feauter in the webclient.
    We need a working AD Bind with mailadresse different than username. Otherwise we have to go to microsoft exchange.

• Thomas Portmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We intend to sell our customers Kerio insted of Exchange (part of the Small Business Server, that is no more available). No one of our customers has E-Mail adresses similar to AD-usernames. This enhancement ist extremely important for us! It should also be possible to have spaces (blanks) in username.

• SIavash Khazaei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi.i think it is one of the most important feature ..it is very critical for all of us.
    for example i made footer for my domain and i wanna change default address in footer but i cant! it was one example that adding second email not working..so please add this feature
    thank you

• Administrator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my whole opinion this is a crucial feature to add. Especially if one tries to advertise Kerio as Exchange replacement - then the "good" Exchange features should be available too.

• Manfred Lenz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Kerio Team,
    this feature is a "must have feature" for our possible users, because the Active Directory logon name is generated for example "yh12345".

• Jérôme Haegeli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm asking Kerio about this feature from many years... and I'm not alone apparently...

We have the problem with calendar to invite people. We need to invite with the username@domain.com instead of firstname.lastname@domain.com witch is an alias.

It the same problem with the publication of the multiple alias in the GAL....

Please can you consider this feature very important ?

• GK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also when you are using Outlook and responding to Appointment Requests it is always sent with your "default" AD E-mail, event when you have KOFF configured to use the alternate one. Of course this completely freaks out The appointment status for the organizer as he gets all addresses doubled: the ones he sent the request to and then all the "default" address replies

• Greg Aker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a big problem for us. We don't ever want to expose the user name from active directory by having it inadvertently sent as the reply address. The ability to set one email address as the default is critical.

Also, saving the default address in the web client is not working.

• Joel Linn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my whole opinion this is a crucial feature to add.

There should be a dedicated policy per domain where an administrator can specify the layout of the email addresses automatically created.
    This would also eliminate the problem of a messed up address book when having to create aliases.
    Also, I can't expect the users to make sure emails are sent out with the right reply to/from addresses.

• Jason Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have seen another reason this should be changed (other than the fact that currently the user has the power to change their from address - not a good thing!) is that when you use AD (or Apple OD)

So the Apple OD format is firstletterfirstnamefulllastname@domain but their email address is first name.lastname@domain when you get error's from MDS it says firstletterfirstnamefulllastname@domain Quota exceeded (we pop our emails, so firstletterfirstnamefulllastname@domain does not exist) so people start thinking that the email address has changed and then email the no existent address (therefore confusing everyone even more) and then there is egg on everyone's faces!!

Not a position I want to be in as an Administrator!!

• Jason Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well you can change the default from address in Webmail (But this simply should be an Administrator option, what sort of email system allows the user to choose/change the default address?)

But yes agree, you should be able to change what the default email address is (Even when login in via email - too may users get confused by this and give out the wrong information)

I will won't be paying my next subscription fees until this is fixed!

• Trifnet Support commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is important if the users have iPhones and the first OD shortname is NOT the desired default mail address. Now, we have to manually write that mail address in the OD mail field to be able to have that instead of eg. firstnamelastname@company.com.

• Tom Handy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also think the ability to edit which email address are displayed in the GAL (Global Address List) is a great idea. All our users have 2 email address The Active Directory one and an alias aka the real one. We only want to display the real one in the GAL.

• Steven Votaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include Open Directory in this fix also. It would be nice if Kerio would show a drop-down list of the OD shortnames or the AD usernames to allow us to pick which one we want to use.

• Peter Oulman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also meant to add that you should be able to hide selected email aliases from the global contact list.

Feedback and Knowledge Base