GFI MailEssentials

How can we improve?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Command line interface for bayesian filter feeding

Dear folks,

currently the bayesian tool needs to be used via GUI to cumberosmely feed the data to the filter.

It would greatly help to utilize the tool in a scripted fashion via command line such as
    tool.exe add file.bsp email.msg

Or something to that effect.
    This way we could script batch updated without administrator intervention.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Anti Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. browser notification for blocked mails

browser notification for blocked mails would be nice! I want to be notified via Browser when there is a new email blocked by GFI MailEssentials.
    So i don´t have to check it manually. A notification by sending a mail to the admin account is not practical.. it would do more work to check mails, move them and delete them..

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Detection rates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Greylist Second BlockPeriod

Another way to improve Greylist without adding too much complexity, add second BlockPeriod to registry and allow any messages sent with matching sender/recipient after x minutes to pass greylist without matching sending IP. After 15-30 minutes 0 day spam will most likely get picked up by DNSBL.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Greylist option to use valid SPF server instead of IP address or ignore IP address in Triplet

Add registry option to either:
    1. Ignore IP address in Triplet and only delay emails based on sender and recipient.
    2. Instead of recording IP address in Triplet, validate sending IP is a valid SPF IP and use that result in Triplet.
    i.e. triplet would be: sender@domain.com, recipient@domain.com, SPF Valid

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Autowhitelist option to use sender SMTP and not MIME

As part of my recent support ticket GFI-180905-653618, it was explained to me that the Autowhitelist that is generated based from outbound e-mails utilizes the MIME from field. We have seen a large increase in messages that have forged MIME From fields and mismatching SMTP From fields. We have manually switched all the entries in our regular Whitelist database to Sender SMTP, but would like to do the same for the Auto-Whitelist in order to better protect against spoofed messages purporting to be from customers.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  SMTP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. list server

Sync List Server in Multi Server Environments

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. quarantine action Audit log - for SPAM Quarantine

quarantine action Audit log - for SPAM Quarantine
    All Actions (release, delete, ond so on) on Malware Quarantine will be logged in an Textfile for Review.
    it would be very usefull to add this function to te SPAM Quarantine as well.
    we have actual the Problem that nobody can find out who worked on a missed false positve in SPAM Quarantine.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. directory harvesting auto block domain after 'x' number of failed attempts.

If a email address/domain gets blocked by [Directory Harvesting] 'x' number of times, that domain should be put into the email block list automatically. Let the administrator set the number of failures.

Going through the logs and finding out that 'Directory Harvesting' has been going on for hours, and could have been solved with an auto-block feature would save a lot of time and spam.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. GreyList Multi Server - Major Issue

I had posted this a few years back in the forum. The issue is with Greylisting and multi servers which causes major NDR’s.

When a email comes in and is blocked by greylist on one server the firewall load balancing may send the request to the other server upon retry.
    So if greylist is 3 attempts with load balancing and 2 servers it could potentially hit a total of 6 times.

So even though the sending server sent it 3 times the receiving servers could have it once on one server and twice on another resulting in an NDR (if…

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. EMZ Files blocked as "Malformed File Extension (High alert)"

Emz dateien werden geblocked als "Malformed File Extension (High alert)". diese sind aber nach meinen recherchen gepackte emf dateien, also windows grafik dateien die meines erachtens als ungefährlich zu betrachten sind.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Detection rates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Advanced SPF filtering - options separately for SOFT FAIL, Neutral, Unknown and NONE

Could you please allow each option separately? Each would have its own check box, each result.

SOFT FAIL
    Neutral
    Unknown
    NONE

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Universal Rules search

I find myself often searching for the reason that an email is Quarantined OR whitelisted OR blocked.
    A universal "Search all Rules" button would be SO useful.
    It would list ALL rules which could be triggered by this current email with, presumably, the one that fired at the top.
    It can be SO difficult to track these things down, often by repeatedly typing a variety of keywords or partial keywords, with or without wildcards, into several Search boxes.
    Please, a button to return ALL rules, in precedence order, with then a button for each rule to let me edit it.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Remove X-Headers from outgoing e-mails (internal data exposure)

We’ve GFI MailEssentials installed on our Exchange Edge servers.
    For security reasons we use the Header firewall to prevent internal data from being exposed outside of our organization.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232136(v=exchg.150).aspx

The header firewall strips all internal mail headers when sending mail to the internet.

After installing GFI Mailessentials we were really sad that this product doesn’t care and adds the following headers to every mail when being send to the internet.

X-GFI-SMTP-Submission: 1
    X-GFI-SMTP-HelloDomain: hellofrominternalserver
    X-GFI-SMTP-RemoteIP: IPofOtherInternalHost

Unfortunately GFI adds the hello and IP address of the server (internal) where it receives the mail from to the header and sends this…

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. BitDefender Macro Checking White List

It would be helpful to have a white list for some domains that can send and receive attachements containing macros if "BitDefender">"Macro Checking" is set to "Block all documents containing macros"

8 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Attachement Filtering with Whitelist options

I have a few scenario's when I have Mailesentials to block zip files via the content filtering (attachement) option to avoid viruses and 0 day threats from entering the system. (more reliable than a/v scanning) On some occasions there may be emails with valid zip files attached that get quarantined due to this policy, this would have to be manually released and checked on occasions. With enabling the whitelist feature this has no impact on this filtering option. I would like to see a whitelist function feature for content filtering to enable a email/domain or IP to be trusted with…

37 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks all for your feedback

I would like to ask some questions regarding the usage of Attachment filtering.

- Do you have Notify Local Recipient enabled? This way intended recipients are notified?
    - Do you have Notify Local Administrator enabled? This way the administrator can receive an email and easily approve?
    - Are such exclusions intended for specific recipients or external recipients? Eg you can already exclude internal recipients from rules.
    - What type of attachments are these? Zip Files? Office Files? PDF files?

16. Greylisting

I've had numerous legitimate emails greylisted for more than 24 hours because, apparently, the sending domain is resending from different email servers. I've seen this with gmail numerous times. A 24+ hour delay is too long and has forced me to bypass the greylist filtering for all popular email domains (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, mac.com). I would ask that:
    1. Greylisting be modified to look at the domain name rather than the ip address of the email server
    2. If that's not possible then this behavior should be explicitly detailed in GFI documentation and a list of email domains should be…

15 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Collecting Feedback  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Delete & Notify should notify the sender, not the recipient

In GFI ME 2014 R2 quarantine, "delete & notify" should notify the sender of the trapped email, not the recipient. For outbound emails, the recipient is notified and they haven't got a clue why they are a) receiving the quarantine notice or b) they may not have been expecting an email anyway. Its confusing for the recipient and it should be the sender that is being told.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Collecting Feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Content Filtering AFTER Spam Filtering, not before! or OPTION

Content Filtering is currently processed BEFORE Spam Filtering. However since the new way of malware is included in .zip files, I have decided to BLOCK .zip, .7z files. Since this is possibly a legit form of sending emails that our vendors do use, I have a user notification of the quarantine so they can email me if needed to release it. I would 'not' want an end user access to the quarantine to release as someone else noted.. I just don't trust the end user to make that judgement call, as too many people decide to click these malware emails…

23 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Putting Content Filtering after Spam Filtering introduces a huge vulnerability in GFI MailEssentials. This is because Spam Filtering is treated as as non harmful as much as content filtering is supposed to.

Our suggestion is to:
    Deploy GFI MailEssentials in a DMZ in front of your email server. Only enable Spam Filtering and set it to delete obvious spam. The Delete option is fundamental here otherwise you would end up with the same vulnerability we do not want to include.

Note: You do not need any extra GFI MailEssentials licensing to do so. The same license can be used since it’s for the same mailboxes.

19. View full email headers from Quarantine

Please give us the ability to view full email headers from the Quarantine

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. whitelist for advanced content filtering

I was excited to see that I could now filter emails for specific things in the headers by creating a rule in advanced content filtering. I used this quite a bit back when I used Vipre Email Security. But I discovered a problem with there being no whitelist for it. I read in the manual that the advanced content filtering doesn't take the whitelist into account and it does not have its own. I would really like that feature added for it.

18 votes
    Sign in Sign in with GFI
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Collecting Feedback  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28
  • Don't see your idea?

GFI MailEssentials

Feedback and Knowledge Base