How can we improve?

Config Sync - better replication

We will end up running Mail Essentials on 5 incoming SMTP/Exchange servers. Manually making changes to each one individually is a huge pain for IT Server staff. We've tried the sync agent and the import/export tool and found them lacking. The sync agent would be perfect IF it included more of the actual product config. Only synching the whitelists and weights isn't sufficient. For example, if I make a change to the spam keyword filter, I have to either manually update the keyword filter on all the other servers, or do the export/import procedure manually - in order to get this change made active on our other ME servers.

I see this as a critical issue for enterprise deployments of Mail Essentials. We need better configuration replication. It must be more inclusive and also replicate settings with the spam filter engines such as the keyword filters, etc. We want one main config on the master server, and then that config should get replication on a schedule out to all of the other ME servers.

2 votes
Sign in Sign in with GFI
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe Church shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in Sign in with GFI
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Chester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2013-05-04]
    The sync agent does not work at all for my in-house dual server setup and for a client who uses this the autowhitelist file increases in size exponentially until it crashes into the 2GB file size limit. It has done this for a long time now. Where is the promised fix?

• Alan Zukerkorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2013-05-10]
    David we run into the same problem with our two server setup. The only fix I have found to date is to stop all the services, open the autowhitelist database file in MS Access and compact and repair the file. If you do this before it reaches the 2GM size, it will keep all your entires. It sucks, but I have an automatic reminder to do this every two weeks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Comment date: 2013-06-17]
    Back to the original issue, we need active-active front-end servers. It would be ideal if all of the configuration were done on any single server, then the others would pick up the config changes. The active specific email related databases need to be a real-time sync. I wouldn't want to create a dependency between the front-ends since they are providing redundancy in the first place.

The autowhitelist size can be limited by reducing the number of entries saved.

I find the graylist process very helpful, but that isn't synced at all. With each added front-end server it extends the potential delays by the sending server timeout. Users are spoiled by instant messaging and expect email to be the same. Users are already bothered by the "standard" 15 minute first timeout. After the second (assuming it hits a different server) they are complaining about the system being slow.

Feedback and Knowledge Base