How can we improve Kerio Connect?

Per-user email archive access

The Problem
Users simply are too lazy to delete or move emails from their inbox.

The Solution
Automatically delete all emails from the inbox older than a preset date.

The Problem
Users need to be able to view or search email history.

The Solution
Provide a special app in webmail that will display a read-only history (gmail-style... no folders) of every email sent or received by that user.

This gets around a number of issues that I am seeing. Firstly, Inboxes with 20-30K msgs. Users complain their email program (I'm looking at you Outlook) is slow as heck. I tell them to clear out their boxes but then they complain about needing access to emails. If users could access their history, they could restore their own deleted emails.

Removing the old msgs would be an extension of the existing system to delete calendar events and other items. Storing the msg archive on the server would be an interesting exercise. Perhaps putting them into an SQLite DB would allow for fast and efficient searching.

786 votes
Vote
Sign in Sign in with GFI
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Planning Solutions shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  Heather P responded  · 

We won’t be providing archiving specifically as part of Kerio Connect. There are some great suggestions in the comments here for complimentary solutions. GFI and Kerio together will be providing more capabilities in the future as part of our joint offerings. We’ll post more details as we work on future offerings.

34 comments

Sign in Sign in with GFI
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nicolas Rieger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm all in for this. Basically, it would be sufficient to have a solution like another user posted about Communigate: Inside the INBOX, the server creates yearly folders, and inside them monthly folders, to which it appears to move all mail just in the configured cycle. For some users, yearly folders would suffice, for some users monthly folders would be appropriate.
    Kerio itself can handle mailboxes up to several ten gigabytes neatly, no question about that. But Outlook (especially search) just has a horrible performance if the amount of elements in a folder is 10.000 or more.
    Local PST archiving via Outlook's archive function is not an option because we need all the mailboxes in our backups, thus the archiving must take place server-side and per-user; accessibility in Outlook must be possible as well (users don't want to switch between Outlook and Webmail, users are always lazy :).

So the most simple solution I can think of is the one mentioned: Automatically create date-divided subfolders in the inbox and automatically move mails from all other folders except the archive into the corresponding year/month folder. This should keep folder sizes fairly within usable boundaries.

• Benjamin Iseli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am too lazy to read all the comments, but for me archiving (accessible from the webmail as well as the OutlookConnector) would be a great thing.
    Keeps mailboxes lean and helps with government regulations.

• Hojat Mehdizadeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
    Archive mail is very good, But end user only read access to archive mail. only administrator read/write access to archive mail.

• Ronald Otto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, please keep it in Kerio. One solution. Good that you adopted mailstore but we don't need/want a separate solution.

I guess you put a spamfilterserver in front of Kerio and a relaying server behind it?

Archiving is something the mailserver can do best since it sees all the mails.
    Like it is now, but per user in stead of whole server.

• Mervyn Sheppard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with howie. Several of Kerio's competitor already adopted MailStore for this very purpose, I was hoping to see Kerio do the same.

• Administrator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for Mailstore here, no need for Kerio to archive and frankly it would have to be beyond spectacular to make me want to move away from Mailstore.

• howie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have deployed MailStore to help with this. I don't think Kerio Connect needs a built-in archiving function. MailStore works great. It allows users to quickly access all of their old email through a web client. Let's not lard up Kerio Connect with features that are already being provided by other products.

I use Mailstore to Archive and have all my mails since start of my Company in 2000 in it. Legal requirement is 10 years in Germany for business and bookeeping mails.
    I am happy it is not a part of Kerio Connect. Let us Keep Kerio Connect as it is: Works always with extremly litte maintenance.

• Ronald Otto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use Outlook with EAS.
    If the need to find something that is older than the synced time > login to webmail and search.
    Foila, you archive.

What kerio should do is trying to get statusses from e-mail by location in the filestructure and file status. Like normal mailservers do.
    Don't start using databases. Exchange with a 600 Gbyte database is no fun at all!
    Kerio handles 600 Gbyte e-mail easy..

So the solution for Outlook users: Start using Outlook with EAS. Google: Outlook instellen met EAS
    Search old mail in webmail.

We've installed Kerio 3 years ago. Right now store's size ~600Gb without archive and backup. In 3 years we will have ~1.5Tb. And if Kerio wouldn't change file storage to Database or create user archives we will migrate to MS Exchange cause of performance.

• IT Dept. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A simple way is to implement some trick to MOVE to the archive all messages older than a given date.

as archives does now, only authorized users can access that archives, organized by users, and keeping same folder hierarchy intended by the original users.

we cannot pay for another software... in 2015 a mail server MUST archive older mail.

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look at how many freaking votes this idea has. How have they not started work on this yet?

• Viacheslav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It must be function of Kerio Outlook connector. KOC must be able to archive elements to local .pst
    Embedded autoarchive function works incorrectly with Outlook+KOC and don't have good management in GPO.
    At result users might keep al their mails, but active mailbox won't overquoted.
    Of course it might be great to manage it on domain level (archiving policy).

• Dirk Poper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That really a very old requirement from me. Archiving on domain level should be the minimum.
    But I guess this may conflict with 3rd party interest

• Oliver Schuldt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a great solution for this issue called Mailstore Archive and it is integrated almost perfect with Kerio...

• Ofir Gal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way it could work which is how it's more or less done in Communigate is to just create yearly mailboxes, inside each are monthly mailboxes, and in each one are the inbox and sent items.

For example

---Jan
    ------Inbox
    ------Sent Items
    ---Feb
    ------Inbox
    ------Sent Items

etc.

You could have a threshold when archiving starts, say when mailbox reaches a certain message count, size, or age.

This way the user can always access their old email using a standard IMAP client or webmail.

• Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wow i just saw the date it was suggested on - june 2, 2011. I suppose by the time this even comes close to being considered, i would be long gone from this company or using different server.

• Mike Follwerk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. It would also be a big step towards supporting the (legally) mandatory archiving of eMails in Germany. I would suggest a function to limit the archive to a certain time however, for example 10 years.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base