Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Admin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in Sign in with GFI
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andreas Hubert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Active Directory, this should be pretty easy to implement, it's just an additional policy you can put in the LDAP search string as desribed here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa746475(v=vs.85).aspx

So like this filter will find the group members:
    filter (&(objectCategory=user) (memberof=CN=MyGroup,DC=int,DC=domain,DC=com))

this would find group members, if they are in a group that is a member here etc.:
    filter (&(objectCategory=user) (memberof:1.2.840.113556.1.4.1941:=CN=MyGroup,DC=int,DC=domain,DC=com))

• Ken Snyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One workaround I've implemented is to use a group as a member of a mailing list or you can use another mailing list as a member of a mailing list. You simply have to manually enter the email address associated with the group (or other mailing list). If I want to mail ALL users at a site I mail to a mailing list called ALL-STAFF and the members of that mailing list are the groups: sales, marketing, development, support, etc. In this way, there's no need for duplicate entries/members in the mailing list, nor in any of the groups. Rather than nesting the groups within another group, they are nested in a mailing list. This may not work for all situations, but it could work for quite a few of you. Best of luck.

• Tony Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As distribution lists ("contact groups" in the new releases) can nest, it only makes sense that groups should be able to.

• Kevin Campbell LWS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am amazed that this isn't already in Kerio. Sendmail supported this 15 years ago! It is a tedious waste of time to separately manage individual users in a group who are already in a group we could just add, like Daniel Mare's example, or a group of Engineering groups, or a group of Sales territory groups. We keep running into this.

• Chris Bastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this seems to be rudimentary but, for some reason wasn't included. I have a few work arounds but again this really, really needs to be added.

• Unavco SAs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BIG thumbs up for this one. I'm REALLY surprised this wasn't built into Kerio from the beginning. We're migrating to it right now and it's going to be a real pain in the butt for the SA's to remember to add folks to all these groups that can't relate to each other.

• Howard Adkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. We are moving from Lotus Domino and we use groups of groups extensively. Would like to see this implemented before we convert if possible.

• Daniel Mare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

E.g. We have a broadcast group for all people, this should contain country1, country2, country3. Each country has state1, state2, state3. Each state has city1, city2, city3, each city has department1, department2, department3.

We would like people to be able to email everyone in each city, or everyone in their state, or everyone in each country. At the moment, to achieve this, we have to add them to the appropriate department group, then the appropriate city group, then the appropriate state group, then the appropriate country group, then the worldwide broadcast group. This is cumbersome. By adding someone to the ColombiaSomestateBogotaAccounts group, they should be included in the broadcast@something, Colombia@something, ColombiaSomestate@something, Bogota@something and bogotaaccounts@something lists by nesting.

• Jörgen Olsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! Nested groups is really a feature needed, especially since LDAP makes use of it and you want groups to mimic LDAP groups.

• Peshay Nerdcore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have an Open Directory where we use nested groups, so we can't add directory users, only let local users authenticate to the directory.

Live could be sooo easy with nested groups, especially for growing companies. At the moment we have single groups for each city and country, with it's city in it and spoken language, as well together with departments in each city and so on....

• Humac NOC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE now....the lack of this feature invalidates the use of domain groups

• Humac NOC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Further explanation:
    When we map a Directory Group to a Kerio Group, all the nested users from sub-groups does not get the emails.

It is very important for us and many customers, that this work, as most AD & OD setups use nested user groups.

Typical group senario is:

- Area
    'Location' is a member of 'Area' that is then member of 'Country'.

The admins add users to 'Location' groups, and then expect all users in 'Location' to get emails when an email is send to 'Area' or 'Country' - but they don't... :-(

Feedback and Knowledge Base