How can we improve Kerio Connect?

Thunderbird contact / addressbook synchronization plugin

A plugin to access, sychronize and manage private and global kerio contacts / addressbooks.

The ability to use Thunderbird as a fully functional PIM solution in combination with Kerio Connect would give Kerio even more momentum and more conveniance for its users.
The Mozilla Thunderbird doesn't give the impression that they will address this any time soon. I think it is about time for Kerio to go this one big step forward.

332 votes
Vote
Sign in Sign in with GFI
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
sebastian schmitzdorff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  Pavel Dobrý responded  · 

There is no plan to develop any kind of synchronization plug-in for Thunderbird or other email clients. Kerio Connect continues to support all standard email, calendar and contact protocols including IMAP, CalDAV, CardDAV, and EWS.
Also, there are some alternatives to Thunderbird, such as eM client, which can use groupware functionality with Kerio Connect.

11 comments

Sign in Sign in with GFI
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ronald Otto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Pavel,

Please note that not everyone is using Windows or Mac... Please advice on the client of your choice for a Linux Desktop..

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There has been some suggestions for example to use the SoGO connector for Thunderbird to be able to sync contacts (CardDAV) in addition to Thunderbird Lightning (CalDAV).

We've tried the SoGO connector and it nowhere near enterprise grade functionality / quality.

According to Thunderbird development information a major rewrite of the address book functionality is underway. However, that process would go significantly smoother and faster if a company such as Kerio would put some resources into it. Voting for the feature in the Thunderbird community is not much of an idea since very few end users realize the enterprise need/value for this. "Trivial" user interface features often gets much more votes/support than strategic features because of this, and Thunderbird developers seems to reason that "few users voted for this i.e. it is not an important feature".

There are A LOT of companies here in Europe that would like to become free of Microsoft / Outlook - but they don't want to go the "Google Apps" way either for example due to security or dependency reasons. Today there is no alternative for them to turn to. Kerio Connect is a great alternative to Microsoft Exchange, but on the client side there is nothing. Therefore it is a great mystery to me why Kerio does not put some resources into this since it might be a golden key to "unlock" a lot of new customers enabling them to move from Exchange/MS/Outlook into something else i.e. Kerio.

• Brent Ruggles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, as an IT admin I only use WEBMAIL and shutter to think if our Kerio email server collapesed and I needed quick access to my Technical Contacts. This would make a nice FREE safety net to still allow one to access their contacts and public folders.

• Alan Loughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would love to have this os independant feature and would consider paying towards the development!

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An alternative solution would be to actually implement this directly in the Mozilla sourcecode. The neccessary functionality has been held up almost 10 years now due to various issues, someone has to take the lead, roll up the sleeves and get it done, see:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86405

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=carddav

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/browse_thread/thread/a70b451b042de5e7?pli=1

Even if adding proper Carddav/LDAP write support into Thunderbird would also open up for other competitors such as Zimbra I think Kerio has a lot to gain. There are a lot of companies looking for an alternative solution to Exchange (which Kerio Connect infact in many, if not all, aspects is). Of them, many are also looking for alternatives to Outlook. Thunderbird + Lightning provides an acceptable solution for mail + calendar, even if the calendar may need further improvements to attract enterprise level customers. However, the lack of carddav/ldap write support in Thunderbird locks up any transition from corporate Exchange to corporate something else. That "something" else in many cases would be Kerio Connect.

• Jodok Sutterluety commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now you are forced to use outlook/windows as a client. Thunderbird would give you the freedom of selecting the operating system you want. A nice little address-book plug-in for thunderbird would be just fine (and I would even pay for it)

• Ronald Elser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree with this. Due the fact that TB is unable to support new contact entries via LDAP (no one knows why they're unable to fix this problem for years) a special plugin would very helpful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base