How can we improve Kerio Connect?

bring back the admin console

Managing 20 different clients is not so simple with the Web Console as it is with the original console.
Please bring it back!

310 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Theo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  Tomáš Soukup responded  · 

We have seriously considered all known pros and cons of continuing/discontinuing the standalone console, we have listened to all comments and feedback. We strongly believe that the decision to go with web administration is the right one and fits perfectly to our long term strategy.
We also think that it is not worth maintaining two separate codes for the same.
We are fully committed to achieving the same and hopefully better level of quality you came to expect with the native console (improvements between in 7.3 should serve as a proof). In the future we expect to be able to do much, much more with our web administration consoles.
I really appreciate all your votes and comments. Sometimes you need to do tough decision, decision that not everyone likes. I strongly believe that this was right decision.

If there is a specific issue or improvement that was in native console and is missing in web console, please suggest an idea and use your votes.
If the web console is slower in some place than old one, please specify what you want to improve.
Everything is possible, we just need to know what.

72 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminDušan Juhás (Admin, GFI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jens Lewald wrote:
    >We hate the Web Admin.

>will not see any browser on my servers to do a admin task.
    >And i am not willing to open more ports than we really need.

Hi Jens,
    I'm not sure if I understand.
    A browser is usually a part of the system. Typically, you must do extra work to get the browser out of the system. In respect of open ports - the only difference between old admin and webadmin is that the old one listens on port 44337 and webadmin on 4040. So, the number of ports you need to open didn't increased, the port has been changed - you can close the old one.

Is there some issue you can name as a root of your hate? ;-)
    Is it still present in 7.3.0?

• Jens Lewald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We hate the Web Admin.

I will not see any browser on my servers to do a admin task.
    And i am not willing to open more ports than we really need.

There are some webadmin improvements in 7.3.0:
    1) No more paging. Paging has been removed from all of the Accounts panes - Users, Groups, etc., and from the Services and Domains panes under Configuration. For performance reasons, panes with autorefresh (Message
    Queue, Active Connections & Open Folders) will retain paging.
    2) Performance when switching from one pane to another has also been improved.

Are there any issues remaining?
    Please be fair - report only issues from 7.3 or higher.
    Please be specific.

• doug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me to the list of bringing back the GUI client admin tool.
    I maintain a large/custom blacklist of IP ranges I block due to excessive spam and lack of any legitimate emails.

The web client makes me page through the listing and I have to guess what page to go to. With the GUI client tool, I can scroll easily through my defined ranges to see if my new range is a continuation of an existing range.

• RickP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I KNOW of at least one instance where your decision to abandon the admin console has cost you one sale,a nd probably many more as well. I have been urging a friend of mine to check out Connect since It was Mailserver and your name was Tiny Software. He is a reseller, and was very interested in having a product he could offer as a cost effective alternative to Exchange. HE was almost ready, and came to my office to get details about some things, and was SO put off by the web only admin, he has abandoned his interest in your product. I guess a few to a few dozen new customers isn't going to make or break Kerio, but YOU SHOULD START LISTENING TO EVERYONE HERE. It is FOOLISH to abandon this. There are so many good arguments for this posted here! Remember, for every posted comment there are hundreds of users that don't know they can, or just don't bother to raise their voice. Maybe thousands!!! Enough already !!!! BRING IT BACK!

• Administrator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The comments from the Kerio staff seem to indcate that the admin console is dead and isn't coming back....

Hello Jose,
    to your comment
    "I should be able to see all of my users in a single list, not separated into pages."
    The paging is removed from majority of data grids (eg. users) in Connect 7.3.0.
    You can test this feature in 7.3.0 beta 2, now.

• Jose Trujillo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, bring it back. Web-based is slow and clunky; I should be able to see all of my users in a single list, not separated into pages.

• Jose Trujillo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, bring it back. Web-based is slow and clunky; I should be able to see all of my users in a single list, not separated into pages.

• Robert Eldredge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to add that keyboard navigation is not that great in the web console. I had my mailserver disconnect itself from the network 2 nights in a row for unknown reasons. The server is headless and remotely managed which without networking meant connecting a CRT and a keyboard to it to troubleshoot. With no way to use a mouse on this hardware at the time It was very painful navigating through logs and debug messages via keyboard alone, many functions I could not even do. I eventually tracked down the problem but it reminded me how much I missed the standalone console.
    I really hope this feature will be brought back.

• Mike Goggins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admin Console is the one staple that was so useful, web interface depends on the version of IE it was designed for.
    Since IE is so latent with problems, it reduces the ability to manage your email from simple form to complex quickly update the browser so I can admin my email.

Things that work well should be improved not elinimated!

• Paul Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@James Fitzell the old console worked and worked well, and nobody here is saying eliminate the web interface, just to bring back the admin console which they obviously prefer, myself included. As for Exchange, yeah I realize, but if I can't have what I want with Kerio then why should I fight management when they wish to migrate?

• James Fitzell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Paul Wells
    You realise Exchange has a web admin console for half of the management these days? (and the other half is moving towards powershell CLI). I'd hate to see Kerio bring back the old console, they just need to improve the new one.

• Paul Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pretty sad that this is the #1 ranked issue, your customers want this back, and yet your focus is fixing bit by bit the vastly inferior web interface. If the web interface was as fast and provided all the same functionality I think it would be acceptable, but it doesn't and yet you refuse to bring it back. I give up. If the decision is ever mine to make, we will switch to Exchange.

• Harris Leslie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until the Web console contains all the functionality, speed and security of the stand alone admin console it should be included with each release.

• Kamil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Administration Console should be available to complement the address book details phone users, etc

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base